Things You Need to Know About Personal Injury and Compensation
Personal injury is legally defined as physical and or psychological damages inflicted on one person by another who fails to exercise reasonable care in the performance of his or her duty. This reasonable care is defined by law. In the United States, for example, different states have laws relating to personal injury and the legal recourse for the injured party.
The law also outlines different types of personal injuries and what constitutes each. Therefore, when seeking compensation based on any of the personal injury types, you must have a grasp of the evidentiary threshold set out in the law.
Granted, the legal standards expected may not be obvious to the ordinary citizen, and that’s why legal representation is essential.
But before we look into why a personal injury attorney is a must-have, let’s first look at some of the different types of personal injuries.
Types Of Personal Injuries
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Every time there is an accident, one or more people involved in the accident may suffer a personal injury and may be entitled to compensation for the damages they sustain. Personal injury is constituted by death or physical and psychological injury resulting from accidents involving cars, pedestrians, trucks, and bike riders. In each case, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant failed in their responsibility, resulting in the injury.
- Workplace Accident – You can file a personal injury lawsuit when you suffer an injury at your employer-defined workplace. Every employer is required to exercise some reasonable level of care for their workers. The injured party would be entitled to compensation if it’s proven that they didn’t suffer the injury due to their negligence.
- Medical Malpractice– Personal injury resulting from medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional misbehaves or acts in negligence or misconduct in the course of duty and such an act causes injury to a patient. Medical malpractice would arise from misdiagnosis, surgical errors, and birth injuries, among other medication mistakes. In such a case, the person who suffers injury can take legal action and seek compensation for the damage suffered.
- Wrongful Death – Personal injury resulting from wrongful death arises where a person kills another by committing an act of carelessness. Neglect to a nursing home, conscious use of dangerous products, medical malpractice, and car crashes are just some of the things that can constitute wrongful death.
- Recreational Accidents– These are personal injuries suffered in the course of recreational activities such as boating, gymnastics, swimming, and acrobatics, among others. Injury may occur due to defective tools and equipment or negligence by the facility operator. If you’re injured while undertaking a recreational activity, you can seek compensation from the responsible party.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney
When you suffer a personal injury, legal assistance is an essential step towards receiving your compensation. And it’s not just compensation, you should get the highest possible monetary settlement. That means you must work with an attorney who’s abreast with the legal complexities of the land. If you’re a resident of Houston, you should reach out to an experienced Houston personal injury lawyer like Wilvin J. Carter.
A professional attorney will help you gather legally admissible evidence, frame your presentation, and argue out your case in court for the best monetary recompense. An actively practicing personal injury lawyer also knows the legal deadlines relating to tort claims and will, therefore, do everything to work within those deadlines.
In addition to experience, be sure that you scrutinize the background of the attorney you’d like to work with to establish that they’re legally registered and have the required license and certifications.
The Law Offices of Wilvin J. Carter P.C.
7322 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77074